Episode 19 – Roast Cranberry Goose
For the goose:
- 2 Goose breasts
- 1/4 C Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the cranberries:
- 12 oz cranberries fresh or thawed
- 1/2 C honey
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste (start with 1/8 tsp each)
- Zest from an orange, removed in strips with vegetable peeler, avoiding white pith
- Soak the breasts in salt water overnight.
- Combine all cranberry ingredients in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and allow to simmer until cranberries split, about 15-20 minutes.
- Lightly rinse breasts to remove most of the salt. Pepper both sides.
- Heat a generous drizzle of olive oil in a hot skillet, then add the breasts. Seat for four minutes, then flip and repeat on the other side.
- move the skillet to the oven and cook until the internal temperature of the thickest part of the breast is between 135-145 deg F.
- Remove from the skillet and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Slice the breast meat thin and serve with cooled cranberry sauce.