Episode 04 – Blackened Muskrat
- 1 lb Muskrat meat
- 1/3 cup salt
- 1 qt water
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 blackening spice, separated into 2 1/8 cup portions
- 1 white onion, roughly chopped
- 3 carrots, roughly chopped
- 3 parsnips, roughly chopped
- 1 sweet potato, roughly chopped
- olive oil
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Place the muskrat in a resealable gallon bag with the water and salt. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, overnight if possible.
- Dump the salt water out of the bag and add the milk. Let the muskrat soak in the milk overnight.
- Preheat your oven to 375
- Dry off the meat.
- Lightly coat with olive oil, then coat with half of the blackening spice.
- In a large bowl, mix together the onion, carrots, parsnips, sweet potato, 1/4 cup olive oil and remaining blackening spice.
- In a large oven friendly skillet over medium heat, sear the muskrat for roughly 2 minutes, then flip and sear the other side for 2 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and spread the vegetables out along the bottom.
- Move the skillet to your preheated oven and roast the muskrat and vegetables for 20 minutes.
- Stir the veggies, add the chicken stock to the veggies, and then let cook for another 20 minutes.
- Stir again and continue to cook until the muskrat reaches an internal temperature of 165.