Episode 2 – Season 4: Axis Deer Orange Venison
- 2 lbs. of venison
- Salt water, for soaking
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 5 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 orange peels, 1/4 inch strips (julienned)
- 2 Tbsp molasses
- 3 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1.5 tsp sesame oil
- Vegetable oil (enough for frying and coating pan)
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 2 Tbsp ginger, peeled and grated
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 0.5 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- Soak venison in well-salted water overnight.
- Cut venison into thin strips, following the grain where possible.
- Toss with 1/8 cup of the soy sauce. Add cornstarch and thoroughly mix.
- Place venison in a single layer on a baking sheet and set it to the side while completing the rest of the prep.
- Combine orange juice, molasses, 2 Tbsp of rice vinegar, sesame oil, and remaining soy sauce.
- Heat oil in a large pot or deep fryer to 375.
- Add venison to oil in small batches to prevent sticking, until lightly browned 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer to a paper towel lined plate to remove excess oil. Continue with the remainder of venison.
- Heat enough oil to coat a skillet over medium heat.
- Once hot, add orange peel and jalapeño. Cook 1-2 minutes, until aromatic.
- Add ginger, garlic, and red pepper flakes and cook until garlic browns slightly.
- Add soy mixture to skillet and thoroughly combine. Cook to thicken – 1 minute.
- Pour over venison, garnish with scallions and serve.