Episode 12 – Crawfish Etouffee
- 3 cups chicken stock, low sodium
- 1 oz. dried mushrooms (we used porcini)
- ½ cup butter, unsalted
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, center/seeds removed, choose
- 2 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 15 oz can chopped tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1.5 Tbsp Barry’s Seasoning
- 12 oz Cooked Crawfish
Serve with rice.
- Heat 3 cups of the stock and add the dried mushrooms. Let soak for 10 minutes then remove from the stock and chop. Set both the stock and the rehydrated mushrooms aside.
- Heat a heavy bottom pot on medium heat. Add butter and flour. Stir constantly until the roux develops a light brown color. Can take between 30-40 minutes.
- Add your mushrooms, onion, celery, and bell pepper. Cook for about 10 minutes. Add your garlic, stewed tomatoes, stock, tomato paste, and seasoning. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Let simmer for 45 minutes. Add your cooked crawfish. Cook for an additional five minutes, season with salt/pepper to your liking. Serve over hot rice. Garnish with freshly chopped parsley.